General University Reference Utility
Financial Stewardship Principles of The Pennsylvania State
Penn State faculty and staff shall conduct all University business with
a demonstrated effort to maintain the highest level of financial stewardship.
Financial stewardship entails the following over-arching principles:
- Learning, following, and upholding financial policies, guidelines,
and control procedures established by the University and external
- University resources shall only be used for approved
- Expending or committing funds within approved University budgets
using appropriate financial, accounting, purchasing, and other approved
University procedures, and maintaining records appropriate to these
- Purchasing goods and services through approved Purchasing policies
and procedures and giving appropriate initial consideration to University
- Expenditure decisions shall be made with concern given to quality,
economy, and support of University goals.
- Faculty and staff shall be vigilant to report and prevent fraud,
waste, and abuse of University resources.
- University physical assets should be protected and maintained
properly to ensure their safe and efficient use throughout their
- University programs and work procedures shall be continually reviewed
to ensure that resources are being expended in the most efficient manner to
maintain only those programs that support the mission of the University.
Financial Policy Steward:
The following financial policies have been promulgated by the Board of
Trustees and officers of the University. The Office of the Corporate Controller
is responsible for the financial section of the Policy Manual. Questions in
regard to these policies should be directed to that office.
Effective Date: October 20, 2003
Date Approved: October 20, 2003
Date Published: October 20, 2003
Most recent changes:
- Financial Policy steward changed from "office of the Senior Vice
President for Finance and Business" to "Office of the Corporate
Revision History (and effective dates):
- August 18, 2003 - Added the section "Financial Stewardship Principles
of The Pennsylvania State University."
- February 28, 1997 - Position Title change.