Penn State - Safety
This policy promotes safety at events held in University facilities through the control of items being brought into such facilities by preventing backpacks and large bags from entering venues.
The University reviews its public safety and security policies on an ongoing basis, looking for ways to improve them. The Department of University Police and Public Safety leads this review and obtains a wide range of information from other stakeholders to assist in doing so. These proactive measures are intended to enhance safety inside and outside University owned or operated venues, and to improve the overall experience at University events for both participants and attendees. Controlling the ingress of items entering University venues is a key component in achieving University safety goals.
This policy applies to all University locations and facilities owned or operated by the University.
Depending on the capacity of the venue, the following guidelines must be observed with regard to items brought into University facilities:
Where the venue holds more the 20,000 individuals (such as Beaver Stadium), the following items are/are not permitted, as specified below:
Where the venue holds 3,000 individuals or less, all items being brought into the venue are subject to inspection. During certain events, additional restrictions may be implemented at the discretion of facility management.
Outdoor venues/events (such as Movin' On, 5K road races) which could exceed 3,000 individuals will be considered on a case by case basis. Additional restrictions may be implemented at the discretion of the management in charge of the event.
Penn State University Police and Public Safety
- Enforce applicable University policies and best security practices, as appropriate.
- Provide guidance on policy implementation.
- Work with facility management to establish and update rules and guidelines, when situationally appropriate.
- Perform pre-event planning and assessment, as appropriate.
- Provide police or security staff to support implementation of this policy at events.
- Inform staff of the rules of the venue, and their responsibilities as employees of the venue.
- Coordinate pre-event planning and assessment with University Police and other entities, as appropriate.
- Implement additional restrictions, as needed, in consultation with the applicable public safety authority.
- The day of the event, comply and enforce the guidelines specified in this policy.
- Provide staff who are properly trained to carry out the provisions of this policy at events on campus.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this policy, please contact the Office of the Assistant Vice President, Police & Public Safety.
SY01 - Environmental Health and Safety Policy
AD65 - Electronic Security and Access Systems (formerly SY33)
AD68 - University Access Policy
AD70 - Emergency Management
AD78 - Threats to Campus Safety
Most Recent Changes:
Revision History (and effective dates):