General University Reference Utility
Policy Steward: Office of the Corporate Controller / Risk Management Office
Employees traveling on University business are covered by several types of insurance, for injuries to themselves, property, or damage incurred to others. Any injury to persons or damage is to be reported to the Risk Management Office as soon as possible. This can be accomplished by accessing the Risk Management Office website. Workers' Compensation covers any personal injury to employees conducting University business.
- General Liability Insurance covers any accidental injury or property damage the traveler may cause to others while on travel status. If the harm to another is intentional, then the employee is personally responsible.
- Health Insurance: Employees traveling on University-affiliated business are AUTOMATICALLY covered by an international health insurance program provided by HTH Worldwide. This is the same coverage required of our students when they travel internationally, and will automatically cover the faculty/staff member whether they are traveling by themselves or along with students on a trip – there is no need for the faculty/staff to separately purchase coverage. The HTH coverage applies to all international trips which are for University-affiliated reasons; if a faculty/staff member travels for a University-related purpose, but adds on vacation time at the beginning or end of the trip, the entire length of the trip is covered by this insurance. This insurance will be primary over any other health insurance the individual may carry, including Highmark Blue Shield benefits secured through the University’s employee benefit plans, and there will be no out-of-network or deductible/co-pay on the part of the employee for services covered by HTH. However, it is very important that when medical services are required, HTH must be informed in advance except in the most extreme emergency, so they can direct the traveler to covered Western-quality medical providers and hospitals in the area of the faculty/staff member, anywhere in the world. HTH may be contacted by email at assist@HTHworldwide.com (link sends e-mail) or by telephone at 001-610-254-8771.
- If an employee travels internationally purely for personal reasons (vacation, personal consulting, etc.) they must purchase coverage to protect themselves during their personal travel; one option is to use the same insurer, at https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/
- Automobile Insurance is the most common type the traveler will need to address. For more information on automobile insurance, see the “Transportation” section of this policy.
Contact the Risk Management Office if questions or additional information is needed.
Effective Date: July 30, 2012
Date Approved: July 30, 2012
Date Published: July 30, 2012 (Editorial changes- October 7, 2016)
Most Recent Changes:
- October 7, 2016 - Editorial changes, clarifying policy updates to health insurance and international travel.
Revision History (and effective dates):
- October 24, 2013 - Editorial changes. Addition of policy steward information, in the event that there are questions or requests for changes to the policy.
- July 30, 2012 - Verbiage revised to reflect current practices.
- January 1, 2010 - Policy migrated back from the Travel Services website to the Policy section of GURU, with revisions per ONR.
- January 1, 2007 - New policy (published on Travel Services website, not on GURU)