Non-Employee Travel Reimbursement Form
Table of Contents:
- General Information
- Exhibit and Instructions
- Form Requirements
- Where to Send Completed Forms
- Contact Information
- Cross References
All Penn State travel reimbursement requests must be processed online through SAP Concur. Non-employees are required to complete the Non-Employee Travel Reimbursement Form to capture all reimbursable expenditures incurred during travel involving University business. If the traveler is a foreign national, check with your Business Area Financial Officer or refer to the Non-Employee Information (NEI) Form prior to committing to the expense, to verify that the visitor's entry status allows for reimbursement.
The completed and signed Non-Employee Travel Reimbursement Form is submitted to a delegate who enters the information into SAP Concur on behalf of the non-employee. The delegate must attach the signed Non-Employee Travel Reimbursement Form to the SAP Concur expense report as well as all receipts as supporting documentation.
- The Non-Employee Travel Reimbursement Form must be completed, printed and signed by any traveler who does not have Penn State Access ID.
- Accounting for or requesting reimbursement of all airplane fares, including commuter service flights, must be made on a Non-Employee Travel Reimbursement Form. For policies governing travel, refer to the Policy TR02 Penn State Travel Policy.
Not available at this time, please contact your Finance Office/Financial Officer for guidance.
No form may be used that substitutes for an approved official University form without prior review and approval by the steward of the form/central office, as facilitated by the Office of Systems and Procedures (designated representative of the Corporate Controller). Policy FN17 Required Use of Approved University Forms Appearing in the General University Reference Utility (GURU) requires that all form templates must be vetted and approved prior to being published on the GURU website and all such documents having gone through said established approval process must be password protected.
GURU PDF forms are designed for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro. Each browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, etc) has a built-in PDF viewer making it the default PDF viewer without asking users. These built-in viewers do not necessarily support all features required for PDF forms. Similarly, many calculations are not supported by other stand-alone PDF readers (for examples, Nuance). It has been brought to the attention of the Office of Systems and Procedures that PDF forms do not function appropriately when accessed using Firefox and/or Microsoft Edge. In order to access any of the forms on GURU and have the fill-and-print functionality work properly, the end-user must access the GURU website using Google Chrome.
The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader is available for free. Contact your IT support staff person for downloading assistance, if/as needed. If Adobe Acrobat Pro better suits your needs, contact your IT support staff person for purchasing and installation assistance.
Clicking the form download icon on any of the form instruction pages on GURU will open a web-based version of the form. While it appears to have fill-and-print fields available, not all functionality may be available for use (i.e. digital ID fields). With some exceptions (see below), it will be necessary to convert these web-based documents to PDF documents.
In order to have a version with all PDF capabilities enabled, click the "Fill & Sign in Acrobat" or "Open with Acrobat" icon located in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. This icon must be clicked before entering any information. A new versions of the document will open. Complete this version and save the document in a location where you will be able to locate it.
If, upon opening the PDF in Google Chrome, the Fill & Sign in Acrobat icon does not appear in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, it will be necessary to enable Adobe Acrobat extension. Please visit Enable Adobe Acrobat extension for Google Chrome for instructions to enable Adobe Acrobat extension.
There may be times when it is necessary to combine multiple PDF documents into a single document for submission. In those instances, complete the following steps:
- Click on the appropriate form in GURU
- Complete the fill-and-print boxes on the web-based form
- Click the printer icon located in the upper right-hand corner of the screen
- Change Destination to Microsoft Print to PDF using the drop-down arrow
- Click Print at the bottom of that panel
- Enter a file name in the box at the bottom of the pop-up window and be sure to select a location where you will be able to relocate the document
- Click Save
Repeat this process for each document that will be combined (each file name must be different from the previous)
- Now, open one of the completed PDF documents and on the far right select combine files
- Click Add Files and select the files to be combined
- Click Combine
This form has the Digital ID (applying an electronic signature to the document) process enabled. If, upon opening the PDF in Google Chrome, the following does not appear in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, it will be necessary to enable Adobe Acrobat extension
Please visit the following for instructions to enable Adobe Acrobat extension:
Complete all fill-and-print form fields before completing the signature process:
- Open the Non-Employee Travel Reimbursement Form
- Before entering any information, click the "Fill-and-Sign in Acrobat" (see above) icon or click the "fill-and-sign" option (looks like a pen nib) located on the right-hand column within Adobe Acrobat, or click "Tools" from the tool bar on the upper left-hand side of the screen and click "Open" under the Fill & Sign option
- Complete all fill-and-print fields
- Once the form is complete, click in the signature form field and either:
- select your digital ID and click continue, or
- create your digital ID, select your digital ID, and click continue
- Review the information in the appearance box and click sign
- You will be required to save a copy of the document (the digital signature is not applied until the form is saved)
- A pop-up window opens with the file name containing non-employee-travel-reimbursement-form in the File name field. Add a dash, the non-employee travelers' last name, a dash, and first name (i.e., non-employee-travel-reimbursement-form-smith-mary)
- Select a location where you will be able to retrieve the document
- Click Save
- Close the form version appearing on your screen
- Open the version containing the Non-Employee traveler's last name saved in the previous steps
- Verify that the digital ID appears on the document
- Close the document
The Non-Employee Travel Reimbursement form requires multiple signatures. Please complete the following process for obtaining those signatures:
- The Non-Employee traveler completes and saves the form using the naming convention defined above
- The Non-Employee traveler sends an email, with the above referenced document as an attachment, to the approved departmental delegate who will process the form on behalf of the Non-Employee traveler
- The departmental delegate sends an email, with the above referenced document as an attachment, to the Budget Administrator, Budget Executive, or Supervisor
- The Budget Administrator, Budget Executive, or Supervisor opens the document, reviews the document, and applies their digital ID (if approving) as defined in Steps 4, 5, and 6 above and saves the document again
- The Budget Administrator, Budget Executive, or Supervisor returns the signed form to the departmental delegate for processing. The delegate enters the expense information into SAP Concur, and uploads the form as part of the receipts/supporting documentation. After approved and processed, the non-employee traveler will be issued a check for any reimbursement due
- Once the SAP Concur expense report is finalized and any reimbursement processed (if applicable), all documents created during the signatory process (transitory records) should be disposed of via
- Paper document - Secure Bin disposal or shred
- Electronic documents/data - deleted and empty recycle bin
If you encounter any difficulties, contact the GURU support staff by submitting a Technical Support Form request or by calling the tech support line at 814-863-8592.
Send the completed and signed travel form, with all required receipts attached, to the approved departmental delegate. The approved departmental delegate enters the expense information into SAP Concur, and uploads the completed/signed Non-Employee Travel Reimbursement form and all supporting receipts/supporting documentation. After approved and processed, non-employee travelers will be issued a check for any reimbursement due.
|Document:||Ultimate Distribution:||Retention Periods:||Disposition Method:|
|Original (Electronic document*)||Uploaded as supporting document into SAP Concur||General Funds - End of fiscal year +7 years
Restricted Funds - End of contract/agreement (close date) +3 years
|Electronic documents/data - delete and empty recycle bin|
|Transitory documents||- - - - -||Once transaction processed in SAP Concur, dispose||Electronic documents/data - delete and empty recycle bin|
*If a paper version of the document is created, the retention period remains the same, but the disposition method is Secure Bin disposal or shred.
Transitory copies should never be held beyond original retention period.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this form, contact your Business Area Financial Officer.