Last Revision: 07/01/2020


Table of Contents:


The Request for Travel Advance form is optional to request travel advances, which will be issued at the discretion of the Financial Officer. All travel advances must be processed through SAP Concur. Special circumstances may warrant issuance of a travel advance. Travelers facing hardship or those with unusual circumstances should review their situations with the Financial Officer to find a solution for their travel needs. If a traveler is authorized to use a Purchasing Card for travel expenses, then he or she will not be eligible to receive a short-term travel advance, unless there are extenuating circumstances that require cash. Travel advances are generally discouraged, and must be regarded as a last resort for handling travel expenses.

Travel advances will be approved via the Financial Officer through the SAP Concur request process.

Approved uses for travel advances:

  • Travel - Used only to cover meals and incidental expenses that are chargeable to a University budget. For additional information, see Policy TR02 - Travel Policy.

General Information:

  • An employee may hold no more than one (1) travel advance at a time.

  • All travel incurred on behalf of the University is to be settled through the SAP Concur. This system is used for the settlement of expenses to determine amounts due to the University or to the employee. Settlement of travel charges should be completed as soon as possible after the conclusion of the travel. If the travel is funded by a sponsored award, the settlement should be completed within 30 days. Employees who do not settle travel expenses, including travel advances, within 60 days of the end of travel, may not be eligible for reimbursement of expenses paid personally and may have the amount of the travel advance deducted from their paycheck.

  • Unspent amounts should be returned by check made payable to The Pennsylvania State University and a photocopy of this form (if used), signed by the Financial Officer, should be uploaded to the related SAP Concur report to serve as additional documentation of settlement.

Exhibit and Instructions:

To view document exhibits, click on link below:

Request for Travel Advance Exhibit

Form Requirements:

No form may be used that substitutes for an approved official University form without prior review and approval by the steward of the form/central office, as facilitated by the Office of Systems and Procedures (designated representative of the Associate Vice President for Budget and Finance). See Policy FN17 - Required Use of Approved University Forms Appearing in the General University Reference Utility (GURU) for full details.

GURU PDF forms are designed for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro. Each browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.) has a built-in PDF viewer making it the default PDF viewer without asking users. These built-in viewers do not necessarily support all features required for PDF forms. Similarly, many calculations are not supported by other stand-alone PDF readers (for example, Nuance). If you experience problems downloading or opening documents, right click on the link on the Forms Locator Screen, select 'Save Link As' (or similar language) and save the file. The document can then be opened in either Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro from the saved location.

The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader is available for free. Contact your IT support staff person for downloading assistance, if/as needed. If Adobe Acrobat Pro better suits your needs, contact your IT support staff person for purchasing and installation assistance.

If you encounter any difficulties, contact the GURU support staff by submitting a Technical Support form request or by calling the tech support line at 814-863-8592.

Number of Copies and Ultimate Distribution:

Table of distribution and retention of the Request for Travel Advance form
Ultimate Distribution: Retention Periods:
(after settlement)
Original White Financial Officer Current fiscal year
plus 2 years
Copy White Employee
(after settlement of advance)
- - - - -

Where to Send Completed Forms:

The employee takes the approved form to the Financial Officer.

Contact Information:

For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this form, contact your Financial Officer.

Cross References: