W4 - Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate
Table of Contents:
- General Information
- Exhibit and Instructions
- Form Requirements
- Number of Copies and Ultimate Distribution
- Where To Send Completed Forms
- Contact Information
- Cross References
This form authorizes the University to make the appropriate withholdings for Federal Income Tax.
W-4 information is required to be updated in Workday:
- when you want to change your marital status
- when you want to change the number of allowances to claim
- if you want to add/change additional amount of federal income tax withholding per pay
- claim exemption from withholding of federal income taxes (see instructions below)
you are eligible to claim exempt ONLY if:
- Last year you did not have any Federal Income tax liability, AND
- This year you expect to have no Federal Income Tax liability.
- NOTE: If another person can claim you as a dependent on his or her tax return, you cannot claim exemption from withholding if your income exceeds $1,050 and includes more than $350 of unearned income (for example, interest and dividends).
EXCEPTIONS: An employee may be able to claim exemption from withholding even if the employee is a dependent, if the employee:
- is 65 or older,
- is blind, or
- will claim adjustments to income; tax credits; or itemized deductions, on his or her tax return. The exceptions do not apply to supplemental wages greater than $1,000,000.
The Withholding Calculator reflects the change in the income tax rates on individuals that began on July 1, 2001. It can help you figure your Federal Income tax withholding so your employer can withhold the correct amount from your pay. You may use the results of this program to help you complete a new Form W-4, which you will submit to your employer.
Visit WorkLion to access Workday and learn more.
There are no exhibits associated with this document.
No form may be used that substitutes for an approved official University form without prior review and approval by the steward of the form/central office, as facilitated by the Office of Systems and Procedures (designated representative of the Corporate Controller). See Policy FN17 - Required Use of Approved University Forms Appearing in the General University Reference Utility (GURU) for full details.
GURU PDF forms are designed for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro. Each browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) has a built-in PDF viewer making it the default PDF viewer without asking users. These built-in viewers do not necessarily support all features required for PDF Forms. Similarly, many calculations are not supported by other stand-alone PDF readers (for example, Nuance). If you experience problems downloading or opening documents, right click on the link on the Forms Locator Screen, select 'Save Link As' (or similar language) and save the file. The document can then be opened in either Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro from the saved location.
The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader is available for free. Contact your IT support staff person for downloading assistance, if/as needed. An Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) account is also available to all Penn State students, faculty, and staff members, at no cost. Sign up for an Adobe Creative Cloud account at adobe.psu.edu. If Adobe Acrobat Pro better suits your needs, contact your IT support staff person for purchasing and installation assistance.
If you encounter any difficulties, contact the GURU support staff by submitting a Technical Support Form request or by calling the tech support line at 814-863-8592.
See WorkLion for details.
Forms are submitted electronically through Workday.
For questions or additional detail contact HR Shared Services by telephone at 814-865-1473.
- Policy AD35 - University Archives and Records Management
- Policy FN17 - Required Use of Approved University Forms Appearing in the General University Reference Utility