Table of Contents:
- General Information
- Exhibit and Instructions
- Form Requirements
- Accessing GURU Forms
- Number of Copies and Ultimate Distribution
- Where To Send Completed Forms
- Contact Information
- Cross References
Use of Google Chrome Required:
NOTE: Google Chrome MUST be used to access the GURU website and for completing and/or downloading fill-and-print forms. Firefox, Internet Explorer, and/or Microsoft Edge browsers do not support all features required for PDF fill-and-print form functionality. Substitutes for an approved University official form (created using a different browser or scanned copies) will be returned with the request to use the Chrome version of the form.
A prenumbered receipt form is to be completed for monies received in the name of the University when another document is not designated as a receipt. This form will provide a permanent record supporting the posting of payments to financial records, and also provides a receipt to individuals making payments.
- Prenumbered receipt books are available from the Business Area Financial Officer or Commonwealth Campus Director of Finance & Business
- Requests for receipt books are:
- Receipt books for University Park and Commonwealth Campuses each contain 50 (3-part sets) receipts
- The use of generally available receipts purchased elsewhere is strictly prohibited
- Control of the receipts is the responsibility of the Financial Officer and the designated individual in the area receiving cash or checks
- The Financial Officer must maintain a Prenumbered Receipt Issuance Log which reflects the status of receipts by receipt control numbers. Such a log must enable that individual (or Auditing) to determine whether an individual receipt has been distributed to an area for use, whether the receipt has been used, or whether the receipt has been voided. (See Procedure CR2032 Processing and Controlling Prenumbered Receipts).
- Receipts are not to be made available to unauthorized persons
- All three copies of a VOIDED receipt must be forwarded to the Financial Officer
- Receipts must be returned to the Financial Officer when the need for receipts no longer exists
- Completed receipt books are to be returned to the Financial Officer
- The Accountability Transfer Form (or a Transfer Log) should be used to transfer receipts or documents from one area to a courier, or to another area or department. Do NOT issue multiple receipts for the same transactions
- The use of these forms are not needed if all cash/check receipts are processed through a cash register
- Refer to Policy FN01 Cash Revenues for further information
- The receipt number and/or number series must be detailed on the Cash Deposit Journal Entry when submitted in SIMBA
This form has fill-and-print form fields enabled. The PDF version has instructions provided for the type and/or format of information to be included within the fill-and-print form fields. Hovering the computer mouse over any form field within the PDF will display these instructions. See Converting Web-based Documents to PDF Document for details.
For step-by-step instructions for completing prenumbered receipts, click links below:
No form may be used that substitutes for an approved official University form without prior review and approval by the steward of the form/central office, as facilitated by the Office of Systems and Procedures (designated representative of the Associate Vice President for Budget and Finance). See Policy FN17 Required Use of Approved University Forms Appearing in the General University Reference Utility (GURU) for full details.
GURU PDF forms are designed for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro. Each browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) has a built-in PDF viewer making it the default PDF viewer without asking users. These built-in viewers do not necessarily support all features required for PDF Forms. Similarly, many calculations are not supported by other stand-alone PDF readers (for example, Nuance). If you experience problems downloading or opening documents, right click on the link on the Forms Locator Screen, select 'Save Link As' (or similar language) and save the file. The document can then be opened in either Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro from the saved location.
The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader is available for free. Contact your IT support staff person for downloading assistance, if/as needed. An Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) account is also available to all Penn State students, faculty, and staff members, at no cost. Sign up for an Adobe Creative Cloud account at adobe.psu.edu. If Adobe Acrobat Pro better suits your needs, contact your IT support staff person for purchasing and installation assistance.
GURU PDF forms are designed for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro. Each browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, etc) has a built-in PDF viewer making it the default PDF viewer without asking users. These built-in viewers do not necessarily support all features required for PDF forms. Similarly, many calculations are not supported by other stand-alone PDF readers (for examples, Nuance). It has been brought to the attention of the Office of Systems and Procedures that PDF forms do not function appropriately when accessed using Firefox and/or Microsoft Edge. In order to access any of the forms on GURU and have the fill-and-print functionality work properly, the end-user must access the GURU website using Google Chrome.
The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader is available for free. Contact your IT support staff person for downloading assistance, if/as needed. If Adobe Acrobat Pro better suits your needs, contact your IT support staff person for purchasing and installation assistance.
Clicking the form download icon on any of the form instruction pages on GURU will open a web-based version of the form. While it appears to have fill-and-print fields available, not all functionality may be available for use (i.e. digital ID fields). With some exceptions (see below), it will be necessary to convert these web-based documents to PDF documents.
In order to have a version with all PDF capabilities enabled, click the "Fill & Sign in Acrobat" or "Open with Acrobat" icon located in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. This icon must be clicked before entering any information. A new versions of the document will open. Complete this version and save the document in a location where you will be able to locate it.
If, upon opening the PDF in Google Chrome, the Fill & Sign in Acrobat icon does not appear in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, it will be necessary to enable Adobe Acrobat extension. Please visit Enable Adobe Acrobat extension for Google Chrome for instructions to enable Adobe Acrobat extension.
There may be times when it is necessary to combine multiple PDF documents into a single document for submission. In those instances, complete the following steps:
- Click on the appropriate form in GURU
- Complete the fill-and-print boxes on the web-based form
- Click the printer icon located in the upper right-hand corner of the screen
- Change Destination to Microsoft Print to PDF using the drop-down arrow
- Click Print at the bottom of that panel
- Enter a file name in the box at the bottom of the pop-up window and be sure to select a location where you will be able to relocate the document
- Click Save
Repeat this process for each document that will be combined (each file name must be different from the previous).
- Now, open one of the completed PDF documents and on the far right select combine files
- Click Add Files and select the files to be combined
- Click Combine
If your encounter any difficulties, contact the GURU support staff by submitting a Technical Support Form request.
|Document and Color:||Ultimate Distribution:||Retention Periods:
|Original - White||Person making payment||- - - -||- - - - -|
|1st Copy - Canary*||Area accepting payment||End of fiscal year +3 years||Secure Bin disposal or shred|
|2nd Copy - Pink*||Financial Officer||End of fiscal year +3 years||Secure Bin disposal or shred|
* This distribution may be interchanged.
- Give the white copy to the person remitting payment
- The 2nd copy (canary or pink) may be attached to either the bank deposit slip or a printed copy of the Cash Deposit Journal Entry
- The 3rd copy (pink or canary) is to remain in the bound book of receipts and returned to the Financial Officer when:
- all receipts have been issued, or
- receipt book is no longer required
- Give the white copy to the person remitting payment
- If the payment is related to a student account, the canary (or pink) copy is to be filed in the student's records folder or attached to the Student Financial System batch posting. If the payment is related to something else, the canary (or pink) copy is to be retained locally by the area accepting payment
- If the payment is reported through the Student Financial System, forward the pink (or canary) copy to the Financial Officer with a copy of the Student Financial System Daily Activity Report. If the payment is not reported through the Student Financial System, forward the pink (or canary) copy to the Financial Officer
For questions, additional details, or to request changes to this form, please contact the Office of Systems & Procedures.
- Policy FN01 Cash Revenues
- Policy FN17 Required Use of Approved University Forms Appearing in the General University Reference Utility
- Procedure CR2032 Processing and Controlling Prenumbered Receipts Locations