ALIEN INFORMATION REQUEST FORM
Table of Contents:
- General Information
- Sign PDF with Digital ID
- Exhibit and Instructions
- Form Requirements
- Number of Copies and Ultimate Distribution
- Where To Send Completed Forms
- Contact Information
- Cross References
All individuals who are not citizens of the United States are required to complete an Alien Information Request form as an On-boarding task with HR Shared Services (HRSS). This form allows Penn State to collect information for U.S. tax withholding purposes regarding an individual's employment, immigration category, and the primary reason the individual is in the U.S.
This form is to be used only to enter non-U. S. citizen employees into the University payroll system.
The Foreign National page on the Payroll website provides a list of required documents and a link to upload the required Foreign National documents using the WorkLion Inquiry system.
An Alien Information Request Form is required to be submitted to Payroll. If either box 1 or box 2 is select in Part III of the Alien Information Request Form, an IRS form W-9 is also required.
Photocopies will be accepted for any of the following forms:
- The I-94 print-out from Homeland Security, OR the I-94 Record (the small white card contained in the passport), OR 797 Notice of Action document showing visa status and duration of stay if extension or change in status was obtained without leaving the USA
- DS2019 - All J-1 visa holders must provide along with the Alien Information Request form.
- Photocopy of your EAD (Employment Authorization Card) J-2, H-4 or G-4 visa holders and alien individuals seeking political asylum in the USA, DACA - Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, etc.
The valid version for use is dated 09/2020.
Complete all fill-and-print form fields before completing the signature process:
- Open the Alien Information Request Form
- Click the download (arrow pointing down) icon located in the upper right-hand side of the screen to download the web-document
- Save the form in a location where you will be able to locate/retrieve the document
- Open the document, using Adobe Acrobat Pro or Acrobat Reader, created in the previous step
- Before entering any information, click the Fill and Sign option from the right-hand column (looks like a pen) or click "Tools" from the tool bar on the upper left-hand side of the screen and click "Open" under the Fill & Sign option
- Complete all fill-and-print form fields
- Once the form is completed, click in the signature form field and either:
- select your digital ID and click continue, or
- create your digital ID, select your digital ID, and click continue
- Review the information in the appearance box and click sign
- You will be required to save a copy of the document (the digital signature is not applied until the form is saved)
- the file name will contain the name "alien-information-request-form" in the file name field, add a dash and your last name (no spaces and all lower case (i.e., -smith) to the end of the file name (alien-information-request-form-smith)
- choose a location to save the file where you will be able to locate/retrieve this saved version
- click save
- Close the form version appearing on your screen
- Open the version containing your last name saved in the previous steps
- Verify that the digital ID appears on the document
- Close the document and upload into WorkLion for processing, following the instruction on the Foreign National Employee Information page on the Payroll website
NOTE: The Alien Information Request Form contains personally-identifiable information (PII). DO NOT send as an attachment to an email.
To view document exhibits, click on link below:
No form may be used that substitutes for an approved official University form without prior review and approval by the steward of the form/central office, as facilitated by the Office of Systems and Procedures (designated representative of the Corporate Controller). See Policy FN17 - Required Use of Approved University Forms Appearing in the General University Reference Utility (GURU) for full details.
GURU PDF forms are designed for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro. Each browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) has a built-in PDF viewer making it the default PDF viewer without asking users. These built-in viewers do not necessarily support all features required for PDF Forms. Similarly, many calculations are not supported by other stand-alone PDF readers (for example, Nuance). If you experience problems downloading or opening documents, right click on the link on the Forms Locator Screen, select 'Save Link As' (or similar language) and save the file. The document can then be opened in either Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro from the saved location.
The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader is available for free. Contact your IT support staff person for downloading assistance, if/as needed. An Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) account is also available to all Penn State students, faculty, and staff members, at no cost. Sign up for an Adobe Creative Cloud account at adobe.psu.edu. If Adobe Acrobat Pro better suits your needs, contact your IT support staff person for purchasing and installation assistance.
If you encounter any difficulties, contact the GURU support staff by submitting a Technical Support Form request or by calling the tech support line at 814-863-8592.
|Ultimate Distribution:||Retention Periods:|
|Original||White||Payroll Department||Refer to Financial Record Retention Schedule|
Please UPLOAD all required forms and documents (see the Foreign National Employee Information page for complete details) into WorkLion.
Hard-copies may be mailed to: Payroll Department, 101 James M. Elliott Building, 120 S. Burrowes St., State College, PA 16801
NOTE: If your Social Security Number (SSN) is listed on the form(s), DO NOT send the forms as an attachment to an email.
For questions, additional details, or to request changes to this form, contact the Payroll Manager.
- Policy AD35 - University University Archives and Records Management
- Policy FN17 - Required Use of Approved University Forms Appearing in the General University Reference Utility