Authorization for Penn State id+ Card
Table of Contents:
- General Information
- Exhibit and Instructions
- Form Requirements
- Number of Copies and Ultimate Distribution
- Where To Send Completed Forms
- Contact Information
- Cross References
Use of Google Chrome Required:
NOTE: Google Chrome must be used to access the GURU website and for completing and/or downloading fill-and-print forms. Firefox, Internet Explorer, and/or Microsoft Edge browsers do not support all features required for PDF fill-and-print form functionality. Substitutes for an approved official form (created using a different browser or scanned copies) will be returned with the request to use the Chrome version of the form.
The Authorization for Penn State id+ Card form is used to authorize the issuance of a Penn State id+ Card for newly-hired employees and affiliates of The Pennsylvania State University (University or Penn State), in accordance with Policy AD24 Identification Cards for Students, Faculty/Staff, Affiliates, and Retirees.
A University Photo Identification Credential is defined as any type of ID card, badge, or other photo-based credential issued by a University department for the purposes of visually identifying a unique individual. The Penn State id+ Card is the official photo identification card of Penn State. The Penn State id+ Office has central authority over the issuance of any University-issued photo identification credentials.
To receive an id+ card, newly-hired employees and affiliates must present, in person, a completed Authorization for Penn State id+ Card form to the Penn State id+ Office, 20 HUB-Robeson Center. For non-University Park id+ Office locations and hours, please visit the id+ website. This form is completed by the area Human Resources representative and documents the individual's PSU ID number created and assigned by the hiring/sponsoring area.
One of the following forms of valid photo identification must also be presented to obtain an id+ card:
- State Driver's License
- US Military ID
- State-issued Photo ID
- Government-issued Photo ID
- Permanent Resident Card
- High School ID and Social Security Card
- College ID and Social Security Card
A photo will be taken and the cardholders nine-digit PSU ID number will be displayed on the id+ card. It is the cardholders responsibility to safeguard the confidentiality of the PSU ID number. If an assigned PSU ID has been compromised and used fraudulently, the cardholder should contact the id+ Office immediately.
This form has fill-and-print form fields and digital ID (signature) fields enabled. The PDF version has instructions provided for the type and/or format of information to be included within the fill-and-print form fields. Hovering the computer mouse over any form field within the PDF will display these instructions. See Converting Web-based Documents to PDF Documents for details. See Applying Digital IDs on PDFs (general instructions) for instructions on adding signatures.
For step-by-step instructions on completing the Authorization for Penn State id+ Card, click on link below:
No form may be used that substitutes for an approved official University form without prior review and approval by the steward of the form/central office, as facilitated by the Office of Systems and Procedures (designated representative of the Corporate Controller). Policy FN17 Required Use of Approved University Forms Appearing in the General University Reference Utility (GURU) requires all form templates must be vetted and approved prior to being published on the GURU website and all such documents having gone through said established approval process must be password protected.
GURU PDF forms are designed for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro. Each browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) has a built-in PDF viewer making it the default PDF viewer without asking users. These built-in viewers do not necessarily support all features required for PDF Forms. Similarly, many calculations are not supported by other stand-alone PDF readers (for example, Nuance). If you experience problems downloading or opening documents, right click on the link on the Forms Locator Screen, select 'Save Link As' (or similar language) and save the file. The document can then be opened in either Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro from the saved location.
The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader is available for free. Contact your IT support staff person for downloading assistance, if/as needed. An Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) account is also available to all Penn State students, faculty, and staff members, at no cost. Sign up for an Adobe Creative Cloud account at adobe.psu.edu. If Adobe Acrobat Pro better suits your needs, contact your IT support staff person for purchasing and installation assistance.
Clicking the form download icon on any of the form instruction pages on GURU will open a web-based version of the form. While it appears to have fill-and-print fields available, not all functionality may be available for use (i.e. digital ID fields). With some exceptions (see below), it will be necessary to convert these web-based documents to PDF documents.
In order to have a version with all PDF capabilities enables, click the "Fill & Sign in Acrobat" or "Open with Acrobat" icon located in the upper right-and-corner of the screen. This icon must be clicked before entering any information. A new version of the document will open. Complete this version and save the document in a location where you will be able to locate it.
There may be times when it is necessary to combine multiple PDF documents into a single document for submission. In those instances, complete the following steps:
- Click on the appropriate form in GURU
- Complete the fill-and-print boxes on the web-based form
- Click the printer icon located in the upper right-hand corner of the screen
- Change Destination to Microsoft Print to PDF using the drop-down arrow
- Click Print at the bottom of that panel
- Enter a file name in the box at the bottom of the pop-up window and be sure to select a location where you will be able to relocate the document
- Click Save
Repeat this process for each document that will be combined (each file name must be different from the previous)
- Now, open one of the completed PDF documents and on the far right select combine files
- Click Add files and select the files to be combined
- Click Combine
- Rename this new combined document and save
This form has the Digital ID (applying an electronic signature to the document) process enables. If, upon opening the PDF in Google Chrome, the following does not appear in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, it will be necessary to enable Adobe Acrobat Extension.
Please visit the following for instructions to enable Adobe Acrobat Extension:
Complete all fill-and-print form fields before completing the signature process:
- Open the Authorization for Penn State id+ Card form
- Before entering any information, click the "Fill-and-Sign in Acrobat" (see above) icon or click the "fill-and-sign" option (looks like a pen nib) located on the right-hand column within Adobe Acrobat, or click "Tools" from the tool bar on the upper left-hand side of the screen and click "Open" under the Fill & Sign option
- Complete all fill-and-print fields
- Once the form is complete, click in the signature form field and either:
- select your digital ID and click continue, or
- create your digital ID, select your digital ID, and click continue
- Review the information in the appearance box and click sign
- You will be required to save a copy of the document (the digital signature is not applied until the form is saved)
- The file name will contain the name "authorization-for-penn-state-id-card-form" in the file name field, add a dash and the last name, dash, and the first name of the employee to the end of the file name in all lower case letters (i.e., authorization-for-penn-state-id-card-form-smith-mary)
- choose a location to save the file where you will be able to locate it again
- click Save
- Close the form version appearing on your screen
- Open the version saved in the previous step
- Verify that the digital ID appears on the document
- Close the document
If you encounter any difficulties, contact the GURU support staff by submitting a Technical Support form request or by calling the tech support line at 814-863-8592.
|Document:||Ultimate Distribution:||Retention Periods:||Disposition Method:|
|Original||Penn State id+ Office||End of fiscal year +2 years from date of issuance||Paper Document = Secure Bin disposal or shredded
Electronic document and date = delete and empty computer recycle bin
|Transitory Copy*||Document created during the Digital ID process||Upon confirmation that document has process, End of fiscal year +1 year||Paper Document = Secure Bin disposal or shredded
Electronic document and date = delete and empty computer recycle bin
*Transitory copies are University records that have temporary value and, as a result, may be destroyed after they are no longer needed. In no event shall be retained longer than the official copy of the University record as delineated on the Records Retention Schedule.
Newly-hired employees and affiliates must present the completed form, in person, at the Penn State id+ Office.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this form, contact the id+ Office.
- Policy AD24 Identification Cards for Students, Faculty/Staff, Affiliates, and Retirees
- Policy AD35 University Archives and Records Management
- Policy FN17 Required Use of Approved University Forms Appearing in the General University Reference Utility
- id+ website