GIFT REPORTING AND TRANSMITTAL FORM
Table of Contents:
- General Information
- Exhibit and Instructions
- Form Requirements
- Number of Copies and Ultimate Distribution
- Where To Send Completed Forms
- Contact Information
- Cross References
Use of Google Chrome Required
NOTE: Google Chrome must be used to access the GURU website and for completing and/or downloading fill-and-print forms. Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge browsers do not support all features required for PDF fill-and-print form functionality. Substitutes for an approved University official form (created using a different browser or scanned copies) will be returned with the request to use the Chrome version of the form.
The Gift Reporting and Transmittal Form is used in the following situations:
- To initiate the recording, acceptance, and acknowledgment process for gifts of securities and wire transfers
- To initiate the recording, acceptance, and acknowledgment process for gifts of cash and checks received by administrative units, whether the monies are deposited to the Gifts Fund or other cost collector, when appropriate
NOTE: Please contact Office of Gift Planning at 814-865-0872 or firstname.lastname@example.org if a Gift-in-Kind is to be given to the University.
- Responsibility for the preparation of this form is as follows:
- At Colleges and Campuses - Development Office Staff member
- At all areas without a Development Office, the person receiving the gift should initiate the form
- Although the administrative unit receiving the gift may send the donor a courtesy acknowledgment, where formal acceptance is required, such acceptance documents shall be prepared by Office of University Development (OUD) for signature by the Associate Vice President for Finance and Corporate Controller or a designee. For those requiring a letter from the President, appropriate information must reach the Office of the President within five (5) days of receipt by the University.
- Faculty and staff are requested to consult with OUD before they approach anyone for a gift, grant, or bequest.
- OUD will distribute copies of the Gift Reporting and Transmittal (GRT) form to the Property Inventory Department when a gift-in-kind is received.
- When a cash/check gift is deposited directly into a "final" gifts account (other than the Gifts Account), no receipt will be generated by OUD/Donor & Member Services for the donor.
- For Gifts-in-Kind pertaining to equipment items $5000 or more and any Real Estate transaction, a third party appraisal or vendor invoice is required to establish a value for entering onto the University's Financial Records.
This form has fill-and-print form fields enabled. The PDF version has instructions provided for the type and/or format of information to be include within the fill-and-print form field. Hovering the computer mouse over any form field reveal this instructions. See Converting Web-based Documents to PDF Documents for details.
To step-by-step instruction for completing the Gift Reporting and Transmittal form, click on link below:
No form may be used that substitutes for an approved official University form without prior review and approval by the steward of the form/central office, as facilitated by the Office of Systems and Procedures (designated representative of the Corporate Controller). See Policy FN17 Required Use of Approved University Forms Appearing in the General University Reference Utility (GURU) for full details.
GURU PDF forms are designed for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro. Each browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.) has a built-in PDF viewer making it the default PDF viewer without asking users. These built-in viewers do not necessarily support all features required for PDF forms. Similarly, many calculations are not supported by other stand-alone PDF readers (for example, Nuance). If you experience problems downloading or opening documents, right click on the link on the Forms Locator Screen, select 'Save Link As' (or similar language) and save the file. The document can then be opened in either Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro from the saved location.
The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader is available for free. Contact your IT support staff person for downloading assistance, if/as needed. An Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) account is also available to all Penn State students, faculty, and staff members, at no cost. Sign up for an Adobe Creative Cloud account at adobe.psu.edu. If Adobe Acrobat Pro better suits your needs, contact your IT support staff person for purchasing and installation assistance.
Clicking the form download icon on any of the form instruction pages on GURU will open a web-based version of the form. While it appears to have fill-and-print fields available, not all functionality may be available for use (i.e., digital ID fields). With some exceptions (see below), it will be necessary to convert these web-based documents to PDF documents.
In order to have a version with all PDF capabilities enabled, click the "Fill & Sign in Acrobat" or "open with Acrobat" icon located in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. This icon must be clicked before entering any information. A new version of the document will open. Complete this version and save the document in a location where you will be able to locate it.
If, upon opening the PDF in Google Chrome, the "Fill & Sign in Acrobat" icon does not appear in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, it will be necessary to enable Adobe Acrobat extension. Please visit Enable Adobe Acrobat Extension for Google Chrome for instructions to enable Adobe Acrobat Extension.
There may be times when it is necessary to combine multiple PDF documents into a single document for submission. In those instances, complete the following steps:
- Click on the appropriate form in GURU
- Complete the fill-and-print boxes on the web-based form
- Click the printer icon located in the upper right-hand corner of the screen
- Change Destination to Microsoft Print to PDF using the drop-down arrow
- Click Print at the bottom of that panel
- Enter a file in the box at the bottom of the pop-up window and be sure to select a location where you will be able to relocate the document
- Click Save
Repeat this process for each document that will be combined (each file name must be different from the previous)
- Now, open one of the completed PDF document and on the far right, select combine files
- click Add Files and select the files to be combined
- Click Combine
- The new document will have the title "Binder" - change the file name and save again
If you encounter any difficulties, contact the GURU support staff by submitting a Technical Support form request or by calling the tech support line at 814-863-8592.
|Document:||Ultimate Distribution:||Retention Periods:||Disposition Method:|
|Original||Office of University Development||4 years after receipt of gift||Paper document = Secure Bin disposal or shred
Electronic document and data = delete and empty computer recycle bin
|Transitory copies*||- - - - -||Upon verification that the document/transaction has processed - End of fiscal year +1 year||Paper document = Secure Bin disposal or shred
Electronic document and data = delete and empty computer recycle bin
*Transitory records are University Records that have temporary value and, as a result, may be destroyed after they are no longer needed. In no event shall be retained longer than the official copy of the University Record as delineated on the Records Retention Schedule.
- If the gift is cash or check - forward the completed GRT form with the cash or check, and all supporting documentation to the Financial Officer in your business area. The Financial Officer will then prepare a Cash Deposit Journal Entry and deposit the cash or check per Policy FN01 Cash Revenues. The GRT, Cash Deposit Journal Entry information, and other support documents are then returned to the Development Officer for further processing
- If the gift is securities
- At University Park -The GRT form, stock certificates, and any supporting documents, must be hand-carried to the Office of Gift Planning
- At all other locations - Forward all information specified above via registered U.S. Mail to the Office of Gift Planning, 214 The 103 Building, University Park, PA 16802.
- If the gift is a "gift-in-kind" (any non-monetary item other than securities) - Contact the Office of Gift Planning, 214 The 103 Building, University Park, PA 16802 or by calling 1-877-888-5656.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this form, contact the Office of University Development.
- Policy AD35 University Archives and Records Management
- Policy FN01 Processing Cash Revenues
- Policy FN17 Required Use of Approved University Forms Appearing in the General University Reference Utility