Procedure PP2004 - Physical Plant Maintenance and Operations Job Cost System and Payroll Procedure
Office of Physical Plant
Policy Steward facilitating procedure: Associate Vice President for Facilities Management and Planning
Table of Contents:
- PROCESSING AND RECORDKEEPING - REGULAR EMPLOYEES
- PROCESSING AND RECORDKEEPING - NON REGULAR EMPLOYEES
- PAYROLL PROCESSING - OUTPUT/CHANGES/DISTRIBUTION FOR REGULAR AND NONREGULAR EMPLOYEES
- AUDIT COORDINATION - FINANCIAL AND PROCEDURAL
- RECORD RETENTION, DISPOSITION AND DESTRUCTION
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- CROSS REFERENCES
The Payroll Procedure within the Office of Physical Plant (OPP) has been designed to accomplish several goals, such as making accurate and timely payments to technical-service (regular) employees and non-regular employees, accumulation of statistical data for planning and control, and providing accurate information to the Job Cost System so that University departments using the OPP services and personnel are properly billed.
This procedure reflects the current capabilities of the system with respect to job cost input, verification, output to payroll, and the subsequent payment to regular and non-regular employees.
All regular employees are hired through existing Human Resource procedures, as defined in policies HR103 and HR14 of the University Policy Manual. This process will provide an 80-hour paycheck every two weeks in accordance with the Schedule of Regular and Non-regular Biweekly Payroll Periods and Pay Dates on GURU.
In order to provide accurate information into the Job Cost System, regular employees submit an electronic time card ( Exhibit "A" ) to their supervisor via the OPP Customer Information System. All applicable fields for each day's work are completed. Supervisors electronically approve each time card. The information entered on the time card is electronically sent to the Job Cost System, as well as the OPP Payroll Office for processing.
Additionally, all hours spent on vacation, holiday and sick leave are recorded on the Vacation, Sick Leave and Time Record. The OPP System interfaces with ESSIC on the OHR web site.
All non-regular employees are hired through existing Human Resource procedures, in accordance with policies HR103 , HR41 , HR71 and PR07 of the University Policy Manual. Paychecks for these individuals will be issued according to the pay schedule published in Schedule of Regular and Non-regular Biweekly Payroll Periods and Pay Dates on GURU.
In order to provide accurate information in the Job Cost Systems, non-regular employees submit an electronic time card ( Exhibit "A" ) to their supervisor via the OPP Customer Information System. All applicable fields for each day's work are completed. Non-regular employees are not eligible for shift-premium, call-out (CO), temporary transfer grade (TT GR), or absence time. Supervisors electronically approve each time card. The information entered on the time card is electronically sent to the Job Cost System, as well as the OPP Payroll Office for processing. An Earned Time Report for Non-regular Employees is kept to record actual hours worked, holiday hours paid, and earned time accumulated for eligible employees.
A Forty-Hour Salary Exception Report ( Exhibit "B" ) is generated for regular and non-regular employees as part of this process which discloses an excess or shortage of hours, as applicable. Verification of the information summarized on this report is performed, with corrections made as discussed in "Changes in Pay."
Every two weeks' payroll, reports summarizing information maintained on the above cards for each employee are generated and uploaded from the Office of Physical Plant computer system to the IBIS system for processing by the University Payroll Office. Payroll Vouchers are prepared, verified and/or adjusted as necessary prior to generating a paycheck for employees.
If an employee is to receive a check for more than 80 hours, a BIPY or WAGC form is prepared in IBIS every two weeks showing shift premium, overtime, holiday, or temporary transfer, as appropriate. The forms are processed through the EASY approval paths in IBIS to the University Payroll Office.
If an employee is to receive a paycheck for less than 80 hours, a PADJ form (Paycheck Adjustment Form) is prepared in IBIS every two weeks. The forms are processed through the EASY approval paths in IBIS to the University Payroll Office.
Distribution of paychecks for services rendered will be conducted in accordance with University Policy PR11 - Salary Deposits and Distribution of Payroll .
The Financial Officer is responsible for ensuring that procedures pertaining to the accountability and safeguarding of all cash receipts, cash funds, and other assets are established and followed in accordance with approved University policies and procedures. Regular audits relating to advances, cash, travel, equipment accountability, and other expenditures provide a means to protect University assets. The Financial Officer is responsible for working with Internal Audit when audits are being performed in the administrative area, as well as performing an annual audit that is submitted to the Assistant Controller.
Record retention must be managed in accordance with Policy AD35 - University Archives and Records Management , and records schedules approved by the Records Management Advisory Committee, Office of General Counsel, and Office of the President. These retention requirements are the University's retention criteria, either derived or based upon federal, state, and local statute or regulations, industry standards, and business needs. Retention beyond recommended time periods require justifiable reasons and warrant review by the Records Management Officer or designee. All documents must be maintained in such a manner so as to provide ease of access for review, and to provide a suitable audit trail for all transactions.
- Documents subject to a Legal Hold (see AD35, Legal Hold). A legal hold will remain in effect until it is released in writing by the Office of General Counsel.
- Documents under audit or review, either internally or externally. The retention period extends until released by the Corporate Controller's Office. The Financial Officer will be notified regarding any accounts which are under audit; the Financial Officer will be responsible for contacting the department.
Additional questions may be directed to the University Archivist or the Records Management Officer.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this procedure, please contact the Financial Officer, F&B Business Operations.
- Policy AD22 - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Policy AD35 - University Archives and Records Management
- Policy HR14 - Forms to be Filled Out by and for each New Regular Employee - Retired
- Policy HR41 - Setting Hourly Wage Payroll Rates for Part-Time and Casual Employees
- Policy HR71 - Committing Employment for a Wage Payroll Job
- Policy HR103 - Employment Conditions for Part-Time Employees
- Policy PR07 - Wage Payroll - Non-Regular Employees
- Policy PR11 - Salary Deposits and Distribution of Payroll
- Blue/White Shredding Program
Date Approved: 01/19/15
Most recent changes:
- Rev 4. - Dated 01/06/12 - revised to clarify electronic processing via the Job Cost System and update exhibits
Revision History (and effective dates:)
- Rev 3. - Dated 02/03/05 - revised to address SSN Conversion issues
- Rev 2. - revised to reflect current process; prior version extremely outdated
- Rev 1. - Titled "Physical Plant Maintenance & Operations Job Cost System & Payroll Procedure" - Dated 06/16/71
- Original - Titled "Maintenance & Operations Payroll Procedure" - Dated 03/19/71